Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Broken Air Conditioner and Helping with Bingo!

We were suppose to go to our friends cottage today, but still having problems with the asthma and Pleurisy. we decided it was not a good idea.  As it turned out, we got a call about Mom not wanting to get up and come out of her room. We quickly went there before the temperature went to hundred.

We were so glad that we went. Mom had no air-conditioning on, and on top of it she had her heat on too. Tom, turned on the air-condition but it did not work very good. Mom said she did everything to put it on and it just got hotter. She also explained that her television was not working either.  Fixing the television was easy because Mom unplugged it, as she always does when she wants it off. Mom was dressed, and not in a very good mood. I could understand why she would not be in a happy mood because it was so hot in her apartment. Tom and Kristofer did everything to try and fix the air-condition but it just wasn't cooling very good. I am not 88 years old and I could not breathe in her apartment even Tom and Kristofer were having some heat issues being there.

Not to happy when we walked in.  She was complaining about everything and everyone. She did like the fruit that Tom cleaned for her and the cinnamon bagel we brought her.

Mom when she realized that the televsion was fixed and ready for her to watch television.

It was so hot we had to open her apartment door. Mom was not too happy about that, because she likes her privacy. It was cooler in the hallway than in her apartment.

Tom and Kristofer went downstairs to find some fans, and to see if they could exchange the room air-condtioner from another apartment. Lois, who was in charge of the Big House today found two fans. Lois called the custodian to fix the air conditioner, but could not reach him. 

Here was a fan that Lois brought up to try and cool Mom's apartment.

Lois found another fan and hoping this will help cool Mom's living room area off, so she can enjoy watching television.

This is the malfunctioning air-condition. Mom said she did everything to get it started. She even put the heat on.

Mom was very upset that the television was not working too. This was an easy fix because she just unplugged. She forgets how to shut the television off , so the easy way is to unplug everything. Sometimes Mom will even take all the Comcast wires out too, now when Mom does that its like trying to put a puzzle back in place.

Lois told Mom she wanted her to help her with Bingo game downstairs hoping that by Mom going downstairs she will get cool. They were playing in the dinning room and it was so much cooler there for her. Mom did not want to go with her but still told her that she would go.Then the next thing I heard Mom cussing me out  in Armenian. Mom always likes to blame me for everything. I am getting used to her blaming me and cussing me out.  I asked  her why she was talking like that to me in Armenian? She gave me the look. Everyone knows what that means when your Mother gives you the look....... Lois heard what I said to Mom, and then she spoke out loud to her in German. I loved it. You should have seen my Mom's face.

Mom walked into the dinning room, and she was not a happy Diva. Lois asked her if she wanted to play, and of course she said no. She stood up for awhile and then she finally sat. We left her there and we were leaving the building when we saw Carmella and met Nellie. Carmella wanted to go in the television room and hear the forties music that Nellie was listening to. Tom pushed her wheel chair in the room, and then she wanted to sit on the couch. Kristofer and Tom helped Carmella to get on the couch. She was so happy, you thought you gave her a million dollars. Carmella asked me to get my Mom over here to hear the music, and I told her that after Bingo she will come and sit with her.

This is my mother's favorite friend Carmella. She wanted to join Nellie to hear the forties music.  She is so cute, especially when she smiles and there are a whole row of top teeth gone. She is from Italy, and has this broken English when she speaks. I told her how much I loved her pearls. She told me that her mother gave it to her a long time ago, and she did not like them. Now that her mother is gone, she misses her so much she loves wearing the pearls.

This is Nellie. Such a sweet lady. She was in this big room just smiling away and listening to the music with Carmella, coming from the radio. She also told me how Carmella called her to the window to come and see a black squirrel. She laughed at Carmella and said there are not any black squirrels, but when she looked out the window, she could not believe what she was seeing. A black squirrel was looking at her. She kept telling me how she never knew there were black squirrels like there are black people. She just kept laughing about her story and still could not believe there were black squirrels just like black people.

We peeked back into the dining room to see how Mom was doing.  Mom is walking in the room where everyone is playing Bingo. She is walking in very slowly, and usually she will say hello to everyone and give hugs not now when she does not even want to be there.

Everyone down here are very serious Bingo Players. They even play with real money pennies and nickels..

This is the lady that always seems angry and always complaining that Mom is eating at the wrong time. Mom should not being eating the time that she is down there. I try and be friendly to her every time I see her, but not a smile or hello will appear from this lady.

 Mom is seeing something during the Bingo Game. I hope she does not speak up.

This man is Jasper the retired custodian. Someone said Bingo and he got out of his chair to make sure that person should say Bingo. He looked like such an official Bingo person. I thought the man would get mad having Jasper check on his card, but nothing was said.

This is the man that won the Bingo Game. He said I was a spy from the newspaper company, and that's why I was taking photos. He is smiling like a Winner. This man is not very old, and usually he never talks. He sure he is talking after he won a game of Bingo. He always is staring in space when I see him. So glad to see he can be a happy man.


When we saw Mom give a little smile, we then thought its time to leave. She is starting to adjust being down there.

We tried leaving again and the Dot Girls and the rest of the Oldies and Goodies were complaining that this building was breaking down all around them. Everything around them was falling apart and one lady said even they are falling apart. They wonder where their money was going if nothing is being fixed. I told them that you should go outside and you would be so happy that you are in such a wonderful building with air-conditioning. They said soon that will be breaking down like my Mom's air-condition. Those two Dot Girls gets everyone wrapped up in their complaining but I do understand why they are like they are because I heard no one from their families come to visit them. Maybe that's why they are like they are, not having the love they need each day?

We got to the door, to leave and two men came flying in. One in a wheel chair and the other man pushing him. They both had such red faces, and I knew they were outside too long. Both of them went and told the Dot Girls how hot it was outside. We did not stick around, to hear what they would say to the men. I just could not hear anymore complaining...

Now we are home, and I am so glad I am not 88 years old yet.  Most of these Oldies and Goodies feel they don't have a life any more. They have no excitement, no adventure, nothing to look forward to and can't remember what happened yesterday, can't leave or get up when they want too. Everyday is the same for each of them, they eat, sleep and sit. They can't hear the television, they don't like the food, they don't like to walk or can't, they can't hear anyone talking, it's either too hot, or too cold..... I could go on......

2 comments:

  1. I can imagine the discomfort your mom was feeling that day. Anyway, how was the problem solved? There are lots of reasons why an AC unit might break down, so you really have to carefully trace the source of the problem. Oftentimes, the problem requires you to purchase a new unit. If that was your case, I hope you’ve found a reliable unit for her.

    Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darryl from your input. We did end up replacing it for her. Its so hard to see my Mom in this situation. She is on new meds and her anger issues seemed to be mellowed. She is happy and loves to give kisses to all of us. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete